Drug and Alcohol Screening
HLTPAT005 – Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
The training covers the competence required to use and correctly interpret drug testing equipment, collect oral and urine samples for both onsite screening tests and preparation and packaging for dispatch to an Australian Standards approved laboratory for confirmatory testing.
How to conduct a breath alcohol test in a workplace environment using an Australian Standards approved breathalyser is included in this course.
- Perform breath alcohol testing
- Perform oral fluid drug testing
- Perform urine drug testing
- Hygiene protocol and hazard identification
- Chain of custody
- Record management
- Sample storage
- Waste removal and disposal
- Planning and preparation
This program has been designed to assess a person’s competence in accordance with the Health Training Package and the proprietary requirements of the organization or workplace. The assessment will consist of a written assessment and a practical demonstration.
Upon successful completion of this course, each participant will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment.
Today a lot are suffering and are affected by alcohol and drug abuse. Some are lucky to be saved, whereas some are alone on this harsh path and leave the world silently.
In big companies, the employers are too cautious to know whom they appoint for their companies. Hence the testing process for drugs and alcohol comes into action.
According to the National Safety Council, those employees that are on drugs or use alcohol are 2-5 times more likely to be late from their job or be absent.
Let us read further to know more about the process of drug and alcohol testing and some facts about them.
What Is the Alcohol and Drug Screening Process and Types of Test?
If you are curious to know if the drug and alcohol screening is done, we have to tell you that it is an exciting process.
The saliva or even the oral fluid is being tested in a unique method. It is done to prove that the individual had recently used drugs or even alcohol. The screening process provides a snapshot of the drug and alcohol use of the individual.
The process of alcohol screening or drug screening is done in order to determine whether the individual is under the use of drugs and alcohol or not. The types of tests that help in the process of drug screening are stated below such as:
- Did you know that the oldest but the most popular screening test for alcohol is the CAGE test? It is an exciting test that consists of four questions that can quickly diagnose issues with alcohol in the individual. If the individual replies yes to two out of these four questions, it indicates that there are issues with alcohol.
- The next best test is the T-ACE test which is again a test of four questions and is considered to be even more accurate when it comes to diagnosing and screening issues with alcohol in men and women both.
- The MAST test is another type of test done for alcohol screening. The questions in this test are 22 in total to be answered by yes or no. In case there are six positive responses out of 22, it means that the individual has drinking issues.
- The SAAST test or popularly known as the self-administered alcoholism screening test. It has around 35 questions, so my focus is on the loss of control in patients, their job performance, drinking, and even family history of drinking.
When it comes to drug testing, we have to say that it is done a bit differently. The urine drug tests are also known as a urine drug screen and a USD. It is a straightforward and effortless test for the individual, and it simply analyzes the individual’s urine to check for any illegal drugs.
Urine drug text generally screens for the following such as:
- Last but not least, marijuana
What Is the Reason Behind Alcohol Screening Test?
There are many instances where the urine drug test is very much needed. The primary doctor has the authority to order the urine screening test if he suspects you have any issues with drugs and alcohol.
A lot of employers today need potential and healthy employees in their organization.
This is even an essential criterion for them to be employed, so they have to go for a urine drug test before even they are hired. It is a great process that can keep those on drugs away from the organization.
How Is the Test for Urine Drug Screening Taken?
Well, every test is different based on the way it is done. But what we certainly know is that the primary purpose is screening for alcohol and drug.
- The urine test drug test is done in the following manner.
- At first, the individual will receive a cup from the person administering the test.
- Remember that you will be asked to leave all your belongings, such as your purse, briefcase, and even other accessories that you have with you, in a different room and then proceed for the test.
- In most rare cases, some same-gendered nurses will accompany you for the test to make sure that you do not have any other belongings with you, and you go for the test with your pockets empty.
- You will have to urinate in the cup given to you.
- The temperature of your urine test will be measured as well.
Why Is the Drug and Alcohol Screening Test Important for The Employer and The Boss?
Today there is a huge debate over the topic of why does drug and alcohol screening is essential for bosses. It is not a secret that the attitude of the workers towards marijuana is very hostile.
Marijuana is an illegal drug, but it still continues to be legal in some parts of the states, and it is treated differently and not like alcohol.
There are a lot of jobs that have made it mandatory for employees to undergo drug and alcohol screening. People who are pilots, train operators, and truck drivers are also included in this.
It is not a bad process at all, and it has its benefits as well. So let us go further in detail and read about some of the benefits of the drug and alcohol screening process.
The benefits of drug screening
Everything has two sides to it. Good and bad. So now, let us see the good side to the screening and testing process of drugs and alcohol.
Did you know that drug and alcohol abuse in the US has caused a lot of companies billions of dollars? According to the National Safety Council, those employees who have abused drugs and alcohol are more likely to take unexcused leaves, be late for work, and even be injured and violated.
The great benefits of this process are:
- It provides a safe working environment for all the employees.
- It helps in recognizing and identifying those who are on drugs.
- It reduces the healthcare cost.
- It decreases absenteeism downtown, along with accidents.
- It provides compliance with state and federal regulations.
Which Companies Perform Drug and Alcohol Screening?
Companies that take this responsibility are:
- The laboratory corp of the America Holding
- The national toxicology laboratory
- Quest diagnostics
- And last but not least, pharma tech, Inc.
There are a lot of other frequently asked questions about the screening process for drugs and alcohol.
How Long Do Drugs Stay in The Urine?
It should be mentioned that alcohol has the tendency to stay for a short period in the urine of the individual.
The duration of the urine drug test for alcohol is best detected as two to twelve hours.
How Long Does It Take to Get the Result of the Screening?
The process is speedy, and the drug and alcohol screening result is usually ready within a few days.
Negative results usually are out within 24 hours, and the rest will need more testing for details and can hence take up to a few days to even a week.
It should also be mentioned that in some laboratories, the individuals with positive results have the entire ability to pay for an independent retest of urine.
Now that you know so much about the process of screening for alcohol and drugs, what do you think? Is it a good option to ask people for a test result, people, before hiring?
Are you looking for on-site training for your personnel?
Click on the button below and fill the form, and we will get back to you with discounted quote.